Registration is now open for Winter Sport Programs including the YMCA Basketball League! The Y’s sports programs focus on skill development, healthy competition, and team building.
As a leading provider of youth basketball in Evanston, the McGaw YMCA is proud to offer youth basketball clinics, skills academies, and leagues this winter. The Y’s basketball programs give young athletes the opportunity to learn the fundamentals of basketball, work on their skills, and grow as a team through sportsmanship and encouragement.
Winter Youth Basketball League 2023
Returning for Winter 2023 is the popular YMCA Basketball League for kids in grades K-5.
Top 5 reasons to join the Y’s basketball league:
- Build relationships and social skills – Everyone in the family can build relationships at the Y among fellow parents, players, and coaches. Joining a league is a great way to strengthen the Evanston community.
- Stay physically active – Especially during the upcoming cold winter months, it’s important to find ways for kids to stay physically active. Parents who are Y members can stay active, too! Walking the indoor track or hopping on an indoor exercise bike while watching the practice sessions and games are great options.
- Balance mental health – According to the World Health Organization, an estimated 14% of 10 – 19-year old’s experience mental health conditions around the globe. Building physically active routines and creating social relationships at a young age can help manage and balance mental health for years to come.
- Have fun – Basketball should be fun for everyone! Kids will enjoy playing the game while other members of the family can enjoy cheering them on and offering encouragement.
- Develop skills – Kids of all skill levels and abilities are welcome at the YMCA Youth Basketball League! From first timers to returning players, Y staff coaches are trained to adapt to all players.
Meet the Coach
The YMCA Youth Basketball League is led by McGaw Y’s Sports and Courts Manager George Washington, who has worked with youth in Evanston for nearly two decades. After graduating from Evanston Township High School (‘07), he joined the Men’s basketball team at Edgewood College in Madison, WI, where he was recruited for his shooting ability and defensive skill set. Coach George is proud to bring his love for basketball to the YMCA, where he has helped young players build their skills and develop confidence to face challenges on and off the court for over 15 years.
Under Coach George’s direction, all divisional teams in the league are led by Y staff coaches who are trained to consistently deliver a high-quality basketball experience that develops foundational skills, builds teamwork, and celebrates good sportsmanship. Participants receive equal playing time and are encouraged and challenged to improve.
Youth Basketball League Details
Dates: Saturdays, January 14 – March 11
- Grades K-1: 10:00 – 11:00 a.m. or 11:10 a.m. – 12:10 p.m.
- Grades 2-3: 12:20 – 1:20 p.m. or 1:30 – 2:30 p.m.
- Grades 4-5: 2:40 – 3:40 p.m. or 3:50 – 4:50 p.m.
Players will have a 30-minute practice session followed by a full game.
Free Basketball Drop-In Clinics for League Players
Youth Basketball League registrants can attend drop-in basketball clinics for FREE to develop their skills before the League! The clinics will run November 19 – January 14 and will take place on Saturdays from 10:00 – 11:00 a.m.
- November 19: Dribbling
- December 3: Passing
- December 10: Shooting
- December 17: Defense
- January 7: Rebounding
- January 14: Skills Challenge Games
Clinics will be adapted for all ages and skill levels. For those that are not yet registered for the Youth Basketball League, the cost is $15 per drop-in clinic.
Register Early and Save!
Register for the Youth Basketball League before Saturday, November 19, for special rates on the 9-week League and added benefits:
- Early bird pricing (by 11/19): $130/McGaw YMCA Members; $195/ Non-members
- FREE Saturday Drop-In Basketball Clinics from November 19 – January 14
- 25% discount on YMCA Basketball Skills Academy (Winter Session)
Experience the McGaw YMCA difference and join the Youth Basketball League today!